On March 5, various organizations are marching to historic Mendiola Bridge near Malacanang Palace to demand the immediate release of the 43 health workers illegally detained by the Arroyo administration.
The march marks the first month since the illegal arrest of the health workers now known as the Morong 43.
The Free the 43 Health Workers Now! Campaign, the Health Alliance for Democracy and the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan will lead the march, which will highlight the nationally-coordinated protests on the same day.
Marchers will Assemble at 9:30 am in front of the University of Santo Tomas along Espana Blvd., Manila before they march to Mendiola Bridge.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines has kept the 43 health workers detained inside Camp Capinpin. The detainees have cried physical and psychological torture in the hands of soldiers who accuse them of being New People’s Army leaders and members.
Patients of Dr. Alex Montes and Dr. Merry Mia-Clamor would hold a “solidarity protest” on March 3 at the Litex Overpass in Quezon City. Most of the arrested health workers serve urban and rural poor communities.
On March 4, the Philo Medica Scientia medical students sorority at the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM, City University of Manila) will spearhead a forum titled “Pearls and perils of community health work” at the university’s Justo Albert Auditorium. Forum starts 9:30 am and will end with a protest action at noon.
Dr. Mia-Clamor is an alumna of the PLM and the Philo Medica Scientia.
If you wish to express your support, please sign the online petition for the Morong 43‘s freedom.
Read more about the case of the Morong 43:
- Report: Torture and other cruel, inhumane or degrading acts suffered by Morong 43
- Court orders military to produce 43 health workers detained, tortured in the Philippines
- Welcome to Camp Impunity
- EU President’s sister condemns jailing of 43 health workers in the Philippines
- US Christians ask Arroyo to respect rights of detained health workers
- Wake-up call for believers of Philippine democracy
- 43 doctors and health workers illegally arrested in the Philippines