The hero’s burial for the remains of the ousted dictator Ferdinand Marcos — a project of President Duterte, with the blessing of nine Supreme Court justices — has aroused national indignation and a national remembrance.
- UPDATE: The Campaign Against the Return of Marcoses to Malacanang (CARMMA) and the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (BAYAN) are calling for #MarcosNoHero mass protests on Nov. 25, declared a National Day of Unity and Rage against the Marcos hero’s burial.
- Look: Letter-invitation to the Nov. 25 protests signed by St. Scholastica’s Mother Mary John Mananzan OSB, Bonifacio Ilagan and Edith Burgos.
This reader — basically links to historical, cultural, reference, analytical and other materials — aims to promote awareness about the indisputable record of Marcosian corruption, nepotism, profligacy, fascism and terrorism. This record negates any and all attempts to honor him whether as a veteran or as president.
By no means complete, this reader still provides lots of information to empower us, upgrade what we know and reinforce our commitment in the fight against the Marcos hero’s burial and the exhumation of the dictator’s remains.
We should read and popularize them. Some of them need to be rendered in popular formats and languages in order to reach a wider audience. There are millions of open hearts and open minds waiting, especially the young people eager to know more and ready to take action.
We cannot waste precious time by directly responding to or debunking the trash spread by revisionist loyalists and trolls.
- What Marcoses brought to Hawaii after fleeing PHL in ’86: $717-M in cash, $124-M in deposit slips
- Marcos and Wife Enjoy The High Life in Hawaii
THE FRAUDULENT “HERO”
- Marcos’ wartime role discredited in US files, New York Times
- Letter from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines
BASIC ACTIVIST TEXTS
CORRUPTION AND THE ECONOMY
- The Conjugal Dictatorship of Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos
- The political economy of corruption: A Philippine illustration
- The truth about the economy under the Marcos regime
- The economic ruins of martial law
- The economic decline that led to Marcos’ fall
- The Philippine economy in the martial law years and 30 years after EDSA
- Not the future we want: 4 Marcos-era socioeconomic problems that live on
- Taxpayers to shoulder Marcos debt until 2025 – Ibon
STATE FASCISM AND TERROR
- Final Judgment: Hilao et al vs. Marcos class-action suit
- Summary of Judgment: Hilao et al vs. Marcos class-action suit
- Who was this Hilao in the Marcos class-action suit?
- Pain Beyond Forgetting: Testimonies of Martial Law Survivors
- Bantayog ng mga Bayani: Profiles of Heroes and Martyrs
- Remembering martial law – a Mindanao perspective
- Rage and courage: Mindanao under martial law
- Martial Law torture victim recalls how a gun felt in his mouth
- Satur Ocampo and the martial law years
- Life and survival under martial law
- TORTYUR: Human Rights Violations During The Marcos Regime
- Verdict of the 1980 Permanent Peoples Tribunal vs. Marcos
THE MARCOS BURIAL CASE
- Petition for Certiorari: Ocampo vs. Enriquez
- Dissenting Opinions: Sereno Carpio Leonen Caguioa
- Petition for Contempt of Court
- Statement: Expose and oppose the revival of Marcosian ideology
FILMS ABOUT THE MARCOS DICTATORSHIP
- University of the Philippines film student Adrian Maquilan has started compiling a list:
BOOKS ABOUT THE MARCOS DICTATORSHIP
- Recollections, by Thelma Arceo
- Ang mamatay nang dahil sa ‘yo, by Bantayog ng mga Bayani
- From the Ateneo de Manila University Press:
- From the University of the Philippines Press:
This Reader is under construction. Feel free to leave a comment if you wish to suggest materials for inclusion. Thanks.